Subject: [Leica] Michiel Fokkema's CL
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:06:13 -0400

Michiel writes

"The camera is checked by Wil van Manen in the Netherlands. Everything

was okay except the on/of mechanism under the advance lever has been

overhauled. "

- - - - -

Michiel,

On the CL pulling out the winding lever turns on the meter. Because the CL's
viewfinder is on the left side of the camera if you use your left eye to
focus and compose, your brow will press the lever back into the storage
position and the meter will turn off. Modifying the on/off mechanism so that
the meter would stay on all the time was common amongst left eyed
photographers. I had mine modified by Leica USA at no cost. The repair
person told me that about 10 to 15% of all CLs were so fixed. I guess that
corresponds to the number of left handers in the population. Perhaps your CL
had been previously owned by a lefty. If you want to own a small, modern
film Leica with a wonderfully sharp Summicron, the CL is the one.

Larry Z