Subject: [Leica] Microphotographs
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:58:21 -0400

The photographs are really extraordinary. Thanks for the link. The photos
look like surrealistic art. Photo #4 shows excellent bokeh if that term is
appropriate for pictures taken through a microscope. Other photos show an
unusual depth of field for such images. In the description of technique on
the Nikon site there is a discussion of the dark field approach using
grazing, off axis light to increase contrast and give apparent depth of
field but there is no mention of a moving slide stage and a slit light
source. It appears that some of the photos used that method. But apparently
Nikon doesn't make that kind of equipment.

One of my daughters, educated as a biologist, spent countless hours
photographing tiny, tiny things through a microscope and occasionally would
ask for my assistance. But my very limited knowledge of microscopy didn't
help her much. She used a dark field microscope, made by E. Leitz I believe.

Larry Z

- - - - -

For all you macro/micro fans:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/10/small_worlds.html