Subject: [Leica] Commonwealth Games FROM EXPERIENCE!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 13:07:07 -0700

Let me ask one question so we can establish a criteria about shooting
Commonwealth Games, Pan Am Games, Summer & Winter Olympics along with World
Track & field Games since 1968? Here's my experience as a photographer on
assignment for magazines and or as a photographer member of the Canadian
team to each of these events.

Anyone else out there with this shoot time experience? Hands - up! :-)

And due to those events a couple of administrative situations also occured:

1994 Commonwealth Games... Victoria... Canada.
Photographic media co-coordinator, responsible in training a staff of 125
volunteers as Photo Marshalls for a year prior to Games opening ceremonies.
These people control the many photo positions in venues and have to deal
daily with accredited media  photographers! Trust me that in itself is a
chore beyond your wildest imagination!

1998 Commonwealth Games... Kulalumpur, Malaysia
Advisor to the national press agency BERNAMA for media photographer photo
positions and training photo marshal staff similar to above..

So I'm going to try and pass along a few things about these games and what
it's like working within very small confined Photo Positions jammed with
photographers of all nationalities. The first thing is.......... these are
not high school track meets and you as an accredited photographer can not go
wherever you please. There are fixed Photo Positions at each venue long
before the Games begin. And like them or not? That's your spot or go home!
You can not roam around and pick any old place you want.

On top of that you must deal with people who's language isn't English! Or
whatever your language is. That in itself can be an incredible challenge at
times! Particularly when you are missing your assigned sport whilke tryingto
communicate!

Unfortunately the person or persons selecting photo positions may never have
attended any other international games!
ERGO?  The position locations are horrible little areas with sometimes
several hundred photographers jammed in like sardines. Your normal lens
length? A 300mm plus a couple of extenders in your pockets for openers.
Maybe at home your 80-200 is a big long lens. Here? Forget it in most cases.
Or as many do, use 400mm - 600mm and read my lips.... "YOU CANNOT USE
TRIPODS!" Only monopods, period or hand hold.  There's never enough room
anywhere for the shooters, let alone adding one tripod and if you try, you
wont have any trouble from the Photo Marshall, it'll be your buddy
photographers !

Possibly I can answer some of the posts, maybe? Certainly from a working
sports photographer's perspective. Maybe?

1/
>>> Excellent images, fantastic!  But you'd have thought someone would  have
>>> removed the dust spots from image 21, wouldn't you? <<<<<<

I looked at the frame! Spots? Do you have any idea how many thousands of
images are flying by the multitude of photo editors from the many photo
agencies covering these games? This tiny quick grab sample of excellent
sports photography and all you can come up with is.........
>>you'd have thought someone would  have removed the dust spots from image
>>21, wouldn't you? <<<

My God get a grab on yourself, just look at the beautiful photography! It's
not your local high school event!

2/
> I bet all the ignorant athletes from Australia and England who dropped
> out just before the CWG  are regretting it now! Went off without a
> hitch, both in terms of facilities and security (must have been the
> No.1 target for a terrorist attack in the last two weeks):<<<<

No question India took a great deal of heat about the preparation and time
frame. But this kind of  "so called not being ready on time" happens at
nearly all games. It did here in Victoria, Montr?al in '76 and I think to
some degree Munich in '72. And Atlanta had some concerns.

But it goes with the territory. However the TV news sure made it look like a
disaster area, whether the fine people of India liked it or not. What we in
Canada and other Commonwealth countries were seeing was on video and not the
writings of some biased writer's opinion.

And as far as athletes pulling out? I don't consider them "ignorant at all!"
There were many here who were damn close to doing the same thing. Look you
can't call them "Ignorant!" because attending and competing is their lives
and given what the international video news were showing telecast from
Delhi!! You can't blame them!  We saw footage of a "huge snake" of some kind
that was found crawling about in the athletes village. Now how the hell do
you think athletes accustomed seeing snakes behind glass in a zoo are going
to feel about that in the athletes village? Along with cow dung and other
excrement lying about that we do not see here nor most other commonwealth
counties. Even though we know about it, when you see it live time on the
tele it does make one have considerable doubts about attending. But that
doesn't make them ignorant!

The good part was... they came off quite successfully and when that happens
everyone only remembers it as a "Great Games Event!" And that is all that
matters! Regardless of all the previous crap.

3/
"Besides the obvious and sensibly banned items also prohibited were cameras,
laptops and handy cams.<<<<<<

This has to be the height of stupidity! Regardless of the terrorist
possibility. I've never seen that at any event, certainly cameras. That's
security beyond common sense completely stupid.

But the stupidest security thing myself and several other photographers in
Barcelona Summer Olympics 1992 was the security guys at the entrance to the
swimming event make a guy with a metal leg prosthesis take it off and hop
through the metal detector doorway. Then get him a chair so he could put it
back on! Now that's even worse than India security. But over reaction can be
found at all games no matter what country. But cameras?

4/
>>There is ignorance here as anything else, whipped up by the media -
after all most athletes are quite ignorant of world realities. <<<<<<<<

Excuse me? Maybe yours, but Canadian athletes receive major briefings before
going to any games regarding all the local customs, rules, regulations and
ethics of the country we're visiting. We leave absolutely no room for local
custom screw-ups!

Ours are not the least bit ignorant of the countries we attend!

in Delhi, you would either get targeted by militants or be consumed by
dengue fever or have a stadium roof fall on your head or be bitten by
a cobra<<<<

I'll go back to live TV video coverage being broadcast directly from Delhi
that was enough to make anyone who was seeing it for real to have major
doubts regardless of what you say. I agree the written stories could always
be taken with a large serving of salt in case the journalist was padding his
story. But real-time on TV? Sorry mate, it didn't leave much to the
imagination of what the conditions were!

And I will go back to my earlier comment.... "It all turned out beautifully,
everyone came home Ok some with medals and some without, but they all had a
pretty good time and that's all that will be remembered!

Another side to the Games of any kind. Once you have been shooting many and
in the heat of battle with so many photographers of the world, certainly as
many as I have. I never watch them on the TV. The emotional side takes
over... "I wish I was there, just one more time!"  Then the reality of time
and age kicks in and you know you'd never make it to the closing ceremonies
!

And probably go home in a box. :-) His last picture was his best! ;-)

cheers,
Dr. ted