Subject: [Leica] IMG: Loden Choksi
From: john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:20:52 -0600

Nathan and Philippe,

Thanks for your very kind remarks.

The thangka art form originated in India and migrated to Tibet, initially
with
the Wheel of Life. Traditionally this depicts the illusion of the endless
cycle
of human mental and physical states with representations of passion,
aggression,
and ignorance as the hub.

http://thangkas.csd.net/wheel_of_life.html

The Loden Choksi thangka is one of a set of eight paintings of the primary
manifestations of Padmasambhava.  There is a ninth which is Shakyamuni, the
historical Buddha.  Padmasambhava taught Buddhism to Tibetans in the 9th
century
AD; according to tradition he originally appeared as a young boy, sitting on
lotus flower in the middle of a lake, perhaps in what is now Afghanistan, a
more
modern and more Asian version of the virgin birth.

These eight manifestations are representations of different forms of
Padmasambhava's energy, how he related to different situations, not actual
beings but how aspects of his mind's energy appear when visualized.  The
wild
imagery is of an awakened mind.

A reference respecting the western perspective which describes these eight
in
detail is "Crazy Wisdom" by Ch?gyam Trungpa.

Best,

John

On 10/9/2010 10:27 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> I share Philippe's sentiments, John--two artists are at work here. But I
> too would

welcome some explanations of the context.