Subject: [Leica] One Big Expensive Leica Lens
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 09:16:27 -0400

OK, here's the math:

The ABSOLUTE image scale on the film/sensor is about the same because the
focal lengths are about the same.

But "magnification" is a RELATIVE concept. The question is, relative to what?
If the "what" is the image scale of the respective cameras' "normal" lenses,
then:
        The magnification of the Ridiculonar on the Hassy, whose "normal"
lens is 80mm, is 1700/80 = about 21x
        The magnification of the Gargantumarit on a Leica, whose "normal"
lens is 50mm, is 1600/50 = 32x

So, for example, prints made to the same physical size from full frames
taken with the tele lenses, or full frames viewed on the same monitor, will
show the subject 21 and 32 times as large as same-size prints from the
"normal" lenses.

?howard
(rits)

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] One Big Expensive Leica Lens)