Subject: [Leica] Another M9 question
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 07:17:48 -0400

But Diane Arbus' and Weegee's subjects are all very aware that they are
being photographed and are looking straight into the camera.  Fine for what
they were doing but not what I want at all.

As for Nan Goldin:  "Goldin's work is most often presented in the form of a
slideshow <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slideshow>, and has been shown at
film festivals; her most famous being a 45 minute show in which 800 pictures
are displayed. The main themes of her early pictures are love, gender,
domesticity, and sexuality; these frames are usually shot with available
light <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Available_light>. She has affectionately
documented women looking in mirrors, girls in bathrooms and barrooms, drag
queens, sexual acts, and the culture of obsession and dependency. The images
are viewed like a private journal made public."

and a quote from her:

"Actually, I take blurred pictures, because I take pictures no matter what
the light is. If I want to take a picture, I do not care if there is light
or no light. If I want to take a picture, I take it no matter what.
Sometimes I use very low shutter speed and they come out blurred, but it was
never an intention like David Armstrong started to do what we call, he and
I, "Fuzzy-wuzzy landscapes." He looked at the back of my pictures and
studied them. He started to take pictures like them without people in them.
They are just out of focus landscapes. He actually did it, intentionally
threw the camera out of focus. I have never done it in my life. I take
pictures like in here when there is no sun or light that I think all my
pictures are going to be out of focus. Even Valerie and Bruno and whatever I
take, because there is not enough light, and so I use a very low shutter
speed. It used to be because I was drunk, but now I am not. The drugs
influenced all my life. Both good and bad. I heard about an artist in
Poland, Witkacy, who wrote down on his paintings all the drugs he was on.
Depending how many drugs he took, that is how much he charged for the
portrait. I saw his portrait at the National Museum, a kind of German
expressionism, and I loved it."

Tina