Subject: [Leica] Another M9 question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 20:10:42 -0400

DOF (depth of field) is a mixed bag when you have things perfectly in focus
but dropping off fast into the darkness with the inverse square law. Or
whitening out before you the same as things get closer.
With each doubling or halving of light you gain or loose two f stops.
That's the inverses square law. As I understand it. Having flunked math.
You can not miss nailing your focus with flash as it allows you to stop down
a bit or stop in fact way way down in fact:
But there is only one point front to back in which its exposed right.
Not that you even it out like crazy with Photoshop and grad masks.

Bounce flash off the ceiling is a good way around this.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest) ([Leica] Another M9 question)