Subject: [Leica] Which camera to take to Israel? (with IMG)
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 00:04:17 -0700

  Richard (and others who talked about wide lenses):  Why both the 28
and the 35 on the M8?  I actually find them quite different.  I am
basically not a super wide-angle person. I rarely went wider than 35mm
with film.  It may be how I see, or the fact that I wear glasses and
can't quite see the entire 35mm frame on a film camera, no less a 28 or
24. So the 28 is my 37mm equivalent on the M8, and I'll not mourn the
two silly millimeters difference from a real 35 on film. The VC 28/3.5
is an exceptional lens, it need not feel ashamed of itself when
partnered with Leica glass.

I basically like the "normal" lens most of the time.  I like the 28, 35,
50, 90 quartet for the M8 just as I liked the 35-50-90 "classic trio"
with film. Basically, 28=~35, 35=~50, 50=67 and 90=120, and the slight
differences in the equivalencies don't matter to me.  I'll probably
forgo the 50 on this trip to keep things lightweight and simpler.

In some ways I prefer the "normal" 35mm coverage (47mm film equivalent)
on the M8 to a real 50mm on film--I like that it's just a bit looser.
And usually when I used the 90 on film, I wished it were longer.  On the
M8, it effectively is.

I have a VC 21/4. It doesn't perform well on the M8, and I would need an
aux viewfinder. Even on film, I've only used it for a handful of shots
over the years.  I had a VC 25/4 years ago, and didn't like most shots I
took with it.

So figure I'll stick with what has worked for me before. If it worked in
Rome and Tuscany, a reasonable digital equivalent should be OK in
Israel.  Those times where I can't get everything in a shot, I'll take
two shots or let the part stand for the whole.

--Peter