Subject: [Leica] American Landscape
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:48:24 -0500

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com>
wrote:

> According to the rhyming dictionary the only word which rhymes with orange
> is ..... orange.
> But I knew that already.
> Near rhymes would be door hinge, lozenge.
> Where's Cole Porter when you need him?

According wordcourt.com,

http://www.wordcourt.com/archives.php?show=2004-05-19

*Dan Warner, of Fraser, Mich., writes, ?Can you supply me with a word that
rhymes with ?orange???*

To answer your question, I got in touch with Hilary B. Price. As the
cartoonist who draws the strip ?Rhymes With Orange,? she may be the world?s
expert on this subject. Price told me, ?Marilyn vos Savant, who writes ?Ask
Marilyn? for Parade magazine, claims there is a word ?sporange.? But the
word is not in my dictionary.?

?Sporange? isn?t in most dictionaries. It does appear in Webster?s Third
Unabridged and in the enormous Oxford English Dictionary, both of which say
it?s a variant of ?sporangium,? a botanical term. Webster?s Third gives two
pronunciations for ?sporange?: the one you?d expect and ?spuh-randj,? with
the accent on the second syllable. ?Spuh-randj? is the only pronunciation
given in Oxford. So although ?sporange? looks as if it rhymes with ?orange,?
whether it really does is debatable.

There is a hill in Wales called the Blorenge?but that?s a proper name, not
an ordinary word. Hilary Price told me she didn?t know of any single rhyming
word, either. ?As far as I?m concerned,? she said, ?the closest rhyme is
?door hinge.??