Subject: [Leica] designing a reasonable digital camera
From: leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the LUG)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:49:33 -0400

The "camera for old fogies" has much truth to it. I few months back I
started thinking about designing a digital camera for my parents - they're
savvy, but baffled by "midnight sports", "fireworks" and "museum" modes. My
goal is, I think, for a camera with only six controls and would not require
that you have a computer:

Manual SS dial with program option
Manual aperture wheel
select white balance,
manual or automatic focus
image review, left, right, delete.
shutter release

no size selection, I think the consumer model i'd keep at something like
1800x1200 jpeg medium. no "sports mode", no self timer, no intervelometer.
No film speed since digital cameras have only one and the rest is done by
increasing the gain, you could do that during the printing process (brighten
this photo by one increment? y/n) It would hold a thousand or more images on
an SD card and I'd just encourage people to label the SD card ("european
vacation and beth's birthday party") and keep everything on it rather than
moving things back and forth to a computer. You could offer cloud backup and
distribution from the drug-store kiosk "shall i save the photos you're
printing to your CVS account? from there you can share them over the
Internet")

I really would like to help design a simple camera that makes life easier
for people. the goal would be 4x6 scrapbook prints, just like family
photography's been done since the 19th century.....

Vivitar, call me; better yet, Panasonic, call me, we'll badge it Leica,

kyle