Subject: [Leica] Lightroom Catalog Question
From: ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:09:13 -0400

I run a single machine (MBP 17) day-to-day. I hook it to a 23 cinema display
when home. If I'm visiting a comfortable place, I carry the master hard
drive with me so I can import and tag, and all while there.

I hit the back ups when I get home.

I hold the cards until the backup to other hard drives is done.

The cards are backed up to another hard drive also, though I hope to never
need that one

I have one catalog on the laptop for temporary things for publication or on
trips where I do not carry the master hard drive. At those times, I use
export and import catalog.

ric

On Sep 14, 2010, at 5:00 PM, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:

> Ric that would work for having a second identical copy of your images for
> back-up purposes. I think that the strength of using the LR second install
> on your laptop is that you can go on a trip for example and keep new photos
> shot along the way on it or perhaps edit copies of existing ones. Then when
> you return the versions and new work are exported/imported with their
> catalog to your main machine. So for example, if I shoot 1,000 new shots on
> a trip to Raleigh, South Carolina, I import them into my laptop from the
> memory cards and keywording, sorting etc. On there I have copies of shots
> shown to LUG friends for comment and add some new keywords/edits to those.
> Back home, I export the laptop catalog with the 'negatives' into the main
> machine
> and update the metadata (if I'd edited cpies of stuff that was on the main
> machine).
>

> On 14 September 2010 22:54, Ric Carter <ricc at embarqmail.com> wrote:
>
>> and here's another way to do it.
>>
>> all my photos reside on and external drive (i have an onboard catalog of
>> stuff i need to carry with me)
>>
>> i use carbon copy cloner to synchronize the external drive with another
>> external drive for backup
>>
>> CCC with synchronize and directories you like, so you could use it to
>> match
>> your lightroom folders
>>
>> ric
>>

>> On Sep 14, 2010, at 7:33 AM, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:
>>
>>> Dennis you can indeed synchronisethe catalogs by following the correct
>>> procedure with export and import. You can include the file versions or
>> new
>>> files from the second machine as well, if desired and update the metadata
>>> the main versions from that too.
>>> As a separate concern, while a catalog cannot reside on a network drive,
>> the
>>> files themselves can.
>>> You can actually have more than one catalog residing on one machine as
>> well,
>>> but that makes my brain hurt.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff