Subject: [Leica] The Passing of E-6 by Thomas Sowell
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 00:42:04 -0700

Well, let's go back about sixty-five years. My first introduction to
slides. My new wife, a friend, and I took a car trip from Chicago to
the west. He had borrowed a Leica (F, I think???) and two lenses: 50
and 135. We were in several national parks on the way to Los Angeles
and San Franciaco. I had never seen mountains before; the experience
was profound.

After our return, we took turns owning the box of slides. The name of
the game was to round up a captive audience, set up projector and
screen, and have a slide show. The magic of Kodachrome caused us to
relive the experience, at least for a year or so.

That's why people loved slides. Obviously if you want prints, neg
film is clearly the way to go. I figured that out for myself after a
year of making prints from slides.

Herb