Subject: [Leica] Legs
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:00:30 -0600

Phil -- I don't agree with you but I'm glad you raised the issue because I
think it's an important one.  A couple of years ago I did an entire Blurb
book on women's legs, feet and shoes, not only with their permission but at
their request.  You can view parts of it here:
http://www.blurb.com/books/50439

<http://www.blurb.com/books/50439>Any one photo in the book could be
subjected to the same social question you raised in your comments about
Lluis' photo, but only if you didn't know the context of the book
enterprise.  You could also ask if having the women's permission negated the
objectification issue because they may have participated in their own
objectification, and arguably they did just that.  For what it's worth, they
were quite adamant that their faces not appear in the book.  As you can see,
the gallery is the one in which we met when you and I had coffee during your
home visit to NM a while back.

I'm working on another book with a similar theme and I'm pretty sure my
gallery-owner friends, who use the books in marketing, would be horrified if
I told them I thought the book was somehow morally questionable.

The point I'm trying to make is that you are not so much objecting to Lluis'
picture as his revelation of how it was made.  If you just saw it in a
magazine you wouldn't know what to think about it.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Legs)