Subject: [Leica] Searching?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:48:31 +0100

You must be joking!!!!
The EU has a wide range of countries as members. Some are wealthy
democracies with good manufacturing bases. Wealth is created there.
Depending on the political tendencies this wealth is spread out (Denmark for
example) and there is very little poverty. In some, such as the UK not only
has the wealth creating infrastructure largely gone, but relatively right
wing politics has kept the rich/poor divide large (not as bad as the USA
though).
I am sure there are people living in the EU in the less developed member
countries in conditions similar to those you describe. My wife did a
volunteer term in an orphanage in Romania and told shocking stories of life
there I will not detail here. No running water or electricity was not the
worst of these. I have not visited personally though.
I, as I imagine Jayanand also, was rather referring to over 1 billion
Indians and over 1 billion Chinese, for starters. South America too. Africa
has probably a majority of their population living in poorer conditions than
the Americans to whom you refer.
Honestly, poor Americans surely feel bad and resentful when they see the
vast differences in riches in their country, I certainly would. That does
not mean that the majority of human beings in the world are not even worse
off than they are.
The woman in the "Migrant mother" picture would certainly be seen quite
differently in a World context than a US one, which is where the discussion
started.
Frank