Subject: [Leica] Collapsible 50mm Elmar and Summicron on M8 M9
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:27:59 -0700

All that's still valid.

 From messages posted about this topic including conversations with
Solms indicates that Leica's concerns about all the collapsible
lenses that extend into the body are for the most part about mounting
lenses collapsed and then scraping the inside of the lens throat on
the camera, causing paint to flake off. There has also been a note
about an (unverified) case of a 50mm Elmar of unknown vintage
scraping the inside of the lens throat while being collapsed with the
lens mounted.

After checking my lenses (I have 3 Elmars from 1931 to 2002) I'm not
quite sure how this could have happened, but Leitz/Leica didn't make
every item of the same model/type exactly the same. Variations are
certainly common.

So... the main thing is to check for yourself, and measure. If you do
this correctly, and clearances are OK, then you're good to go.

I still haven't come across a lens in the wild that couldn't be
collapsed, outside of the possibility of the old 90 Elmar. The new 90
macro-Elmar is just fine as the lens barrel doesn't even extend past
the bayonet when the lens is collapsed.