Subject: [Leica] 2010 BOATING PESO - "Freedom"
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:16:32 -0400

Nathan - I'm not so sure about that, though I agree that the second shot is
more interesting visually.

I've been trying to vary my marine shots more and doing record shots is one
of those ways.  It comes from a comment from a local marine photographer,
now retired, that I was doing too much of a single thing.  I'm finding that
doing them is a bit like making yourself, your technique, your skill,
invisible so that the viewer just says, "Wow, what a boat!"

Shooting this kind of picture also reminds me of something I was taught in
radio production class way back in high school.  If a listener's response to
a sound effect is, "Wow, what a cool effect," rather than, say, "Jeez, what
a big explosion," you've failed.

Think of any of Doug Herr's pictures, too.  They're all about the birds -
and have to be really tough to do.

But, taking the second shot was more fun for me.

Regards,

Dick