Subject: [Leica] Today is 8/9/10
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 07:48:45 -0400

ISO 8601 (YYYYMMDD) is the only "logical" way to represent dates.

day-month-year (european style) is not consistent with the way we denote
numerical values (greatest magnitude first) nor can the value be sorted
(numerically or alphabetically) and still maintain chronological date
order.

For all things computer (including file names for photo directories), I
use ISO 8601.

That being said, I personally believe the month deserves elevation to
the front of the date string because of the three units, it's the most
important unit of time.  I lay in the hammock, looking at the sky
through the trees and think:  "It's June."  This is a very different
feeling than anxiously sitting in front of the computer thinking: "It's
almost the 15th!"  And forget about "It's already 2012!"

I am a human, not a computer!

-rei