Subject: [Leica] Oly e510?
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 21:46:44 -0700

Ric:  I have an E-510.  They seem to go for about $250 used for the body
these days.  I must admit I've barely touched mine since I picked up a
used G1 for $300, not much more.

You can find some very good information on the E-510 here.
http://wrotniak.net/photo/43/index.html  (just search for "510")
I find this E510 article better than the "real" manual!
http://wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html

The E-510 has good image quality, but it is not a Leica, it has an AA
filter, and it shows.  It's got the usual 4/3 noise in the shadows at
all but ISO 100, and maybe even then.  It matters if you pixel-peep, not
so much if you print.  ISO 800 is probably the practical limit except in
emergencies.  The viewfinder is small, so manual focusing can be
difficult. It has body-based image stabilization (IS), so you get the
benefit with any lens. For using the IS with manual lenses, there is an
option to enter the focal length via a menu in the current firmware. The
E-510 also has live view on the rear screen, which can be magnified for
focusing.  But getting in and out of the mode is time-consuming, and the
usual annoyances about stop-down metering and shooting apply.

Bottom line, I think, is that if you want to do scenics where the
scenery is not going anywhere, using the OM lenses is quite viable. If
you want to do action, you are going to want a lens with all the
automation available.  If you can find a used copy of the Zuiko Digital
40-150 f/3.5-4.5 (discontinued, usually ~$125) you will have a tele zoom
lens with full automation that is very, very good despite its budget
status. I think it's better than the newer, smaller, slower 40-150.

I've tried the OM 100/2.8 on my E-510, results very good.  I've also
used the 50/1.4 on the G1, results also very good. I've tried the
135/3.5 on the E-510, results good, but with some weird chromatic stuff
in the out of focus areas.  The OM 50/3.5 macro is a stellar lens, and
it shows on any body you care to use it on.  Remember 4/3 doubles the
effective magnification of your lens, so a 50 is a 100, a 100 is a 200, etc.

I like the G1 better for telephoto stuff--the magnified electronic
viewfinder makes for very easy manual focusing. But the image
stabilization is in the Panasonic lenses, so you will need artificial
supports more.  I think the G1 has slightly better image quality than
the E-510, but they are in the same ballpark.

If you look on my leica-users gallery, you'll find a lot of E-510 shots.
Start on this page:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/?g2_page=12
with this shot, and go backwards.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8122248HeartTransplant-w.jpg.html

These were with the OM 135/3.5
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8312345GirlSlide-w.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8312358SGalBleachers-w.jpg.html

And I think these were with the 100/2.8 (as I said, this lens is wonderful)
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P9072469CrestedChin-w.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8312354ShihTzu-w.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8312368CrowWires-w.jpg.html

This was the moon with a Vivitar 70-150 and matched teleconverter,
cropped.  Not bad.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P91125161Moon-w.jpg.html

This one, and the next five are with the 40-150 Digital Zuiko  I
mentioned earlier:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P9132538MuscleSwimSound-w.jpg.html

And this shot and the next 7 are with the E-510 and DZ 14-54/2.8-3.5,
which I kept from my E-1 of yesteryear.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P5032695ImInJail-bw.jpg.html

Hope this helps. Any more questions? Feel free to ask.

--Peter