Subject: [Leica] What are the rumors around Leica and Photokina? WAS : Leica annual report
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 03:38:24 -0400

What people can afford is what people want to spend their money on.
People can finance something which cost more than what is left over from
their last pay check.  Or save up for it. Rich people can buy them more on a
whim as part of their last monthly allowance.
People own things which cost 24 thousand dollars. And those things they
think are worth having for that. Normally so far this has not been a camera
body.
A photographer who shot catalogs might think a camera body was worth 24
thousand dollars. They buy Hasselblads costing twice that. Its not pocket
change. They finance it. Its worth it for them. Not so a slightly rich dad
who wants extra nice pix of their kids opening presents. Not so a person who
supposedly has a big-time interest in photography but really has a big time
interest in buying and selling cameras.
A street photographer of course would not spend 24 thousand dollars on an S2
the camera is not designed for that. Not that you couldn't use it for it.
For stuff in which a 24x36 sensor format camera in which the quality of
output is plenty good these people are not wishing for a larger format
camera they know will take some financing. But those that know that
increased quality is expected from them. Will shell out or get out of the
kitchen.
They call you to the White House to shoot the next presidential portrait
what you going to shoot it with? If it was me I'd rent an S2. And a short
tele.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com