Subject: [Leica] AA or Uncle Earl?
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:38:21 -0700

Hi Frank, here's the excerpt in question, copyright by John Sexton etc.,
reproduce without permission (sorry):

***

First of all I want to state that I have NOT seen any of the glass plates in
question, nor have I seen any actual prints made from those negatives. I
have however seen reproductions of many of the images since the first round
of media coverage quite some time ago. I have looked at the statements
claiming to verify that these negatives were indeed made by Ansel, but
personally can find no ?proof? to indicate that such is the case.

I do believe these images were made by a talented and competent photographer
who, like many photographers then and now, was drawn to photograph places of
great beauty like Yosemite. A friend or acquaintance of Ansel might even
have made these images.

***

Looks to be the opinion is more than "possible they were not." :-)