Subject: [Leica] Afghanistan Government Denies Access to Flickr & Blogspot
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:11:53 +0100

Hi Chris,
I fear the problem is our extreme thirst for power, not the slow development
of renewables. Wind turbines are already being made with extra cheap
composites, and still are massively more expensive for producing electricity
than conventional means. There is not much margin for making them hugely
more competitive than they are now, either in terms of electrical efficiency
or manufacturing costs. I have a friend in Pamplona who engineers the
things. They have built lots of them, in fact every vista of the Pyrenean
foothills in this area is ruined by a row of wind turbines along every
ridge. Despite this huge number of ideally placed ugly turbines they only
get about 10% of their power from them IIRC.
There is more potential for improving solar generation technology, but a lot
of heavy power demand areas have little sun and low wind levels, making
either more a matter of blind hope than practical engineering solutions, IMO.

OTOH the increase in our demand for energy has been huge. The energy usage
of my grandparents generation was limited partly by money, partly by the
habits of the age. Typically only one room in the house was heated in
winter. The fire in that room heated water, which basically meant that there
was enough hot water for the family washing once a week, and one bathe per
person per week... Cars were impossibly expensive, motorcycles with sidecars
were eventually affordable.
Nowadays everybody expects a bath/shower per day, uses the washing machine
at will, drives a ludicrously inefficient car, even when only going a couple
of miles (mostly) and heats the whole house in winter, whether rooms are
occupied or not.
I know people who heat their house to 80F in winter, and cool it to 68F in
summer. Something more stupidly and unnecessarily extravagant is difficult
to imagine.

Not only are we massively, probably 500% or more, more extravagant than our
grandparents, but a huge number of people worldwide are working to improve
their standard of living and deserve to have the same freedom to p*ss away
the resources which we have had for 60+ years...
This is a pretty big issue, I would say, the only economic solution I have
heard of is Nuclear power, and only France realised this in good time and
has good technology, IMO of course.
this should probably migrate to the forum!
cheers,
Frank