Subject: [Leica] advice for photographers
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 12:26:04 -0400

For your consideration, input, revision & thoughts - I got an email from a
young woman asking for advice on becoming a photographer - I posted this
response on my blog, but I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have
good things to add:

http://kylecassidy.livejournal.com/603763.html

A Reader Writes: I want to be a photographer someday. Any advice?
Yes, lots.
Photography is a mixture of Artistic Ability and Technical Skill -- the
magic of the mix isn't written in stone. The world is filled with
technically proficient but artistically uninspired photographers, there seem
to be a smaller number of artistically gifted but technically unsavvy
artists, but they're out there as well. But the most successful people have
a mixture of both -- they have an artistic vision, and they posses the
technical skills to know how to make that a reality. The technical skills
are the easy part, you can learn them from a book -- f-stops and shutter
speeds and light modifiers, etc. The difficult thing to come up with is an
idea.
0) Possibly the most important thing of all: Find creative people and make
them part of your world. They don't have to be photographers. They can be
writers, or musicians, or actors or puppet makers. Have a peer group of
people who are doing things. They'll be your inspiration, your facilitators,
your idea makers, your artistic partners. Do this for the rest of your life.
Artists rarely survive in a vacuum.
1) Get a camera. It doesn't matter what kind. Eventually you'll most likely
end up with a Digital SLR but in the meantime a point and shoot, your cell
phone, a 1946 Brownie Box Camera, all these will work to start out.
2) Study photography -- this doesn't mean go to school for photography, but
it means pay attention to photographs tear photos that you like out of
magazines and keep them in a scrap book, get photography books from the
library, from the bookstore, at yard sales. Learn what types of photography
you like. Landscapes? People? Bands? Artificially lit? This will start to
provide you with your visual vocabulary -- which will be important in
figuring out what you want to photograph. Given a camera many new
photographers are left baffled as to what they ought to be taking photos of.
Subscribe to photography magazines, fashion magazines, travel magazines.
3) Take photos. What is it you're interested in? Enlist friends. Take trips,
set up elaborate hoaxes, copy great works of art, copy not so great works of
art.
4) Make a portfolio of your 12 best photos. these can be 4x6 1 hour prints.
Every month try and replace at least one of these with a better photo. Do
this for the rest of your life.
5) Evaluate your equipment. When you know specifically why what you have
can't do what you want, it's time to think about upgrading. Do this for the
rest of your life.
6) Find someone who will pay you to take photographs. It's always easier to
learn on someone elses dime. It doesn't matter what the job is -- assistant
to another photographer, part time local newspaper, photographing houses for
a Realtor, etc.
7) Go to school. You can learn a lot more quickly this way. Things like
advanced lighting techniques, gallery framing, etc. can be more quickly
figured out in an environment like this.
8) Show your work. It doesn't have to be in a traditional gallery, it can be
in your parents garage, or in your stairwell. Some friends and I used to
have an open-air art gallery we called "Show up and Show" where we'd meet
along a length of chain link fence, hang out photos up and stand around and
talk to passers by.
9) Take lots of photos, throw out the bad ones, only ever show people your
best. Do this for the rest of your life.
10) Stay busy. The opposite of busy is bored. Don't visit that place. Do
this for the rest of your life.
Hope this helps.

Replies: Reply from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] advice for photographers)