Subject: [Leica] DNG
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:00:35 -0700

There are truly lossless compression algorithms.  And maybe compressed DNG
uses one of them.... but then the amount of compression is never fixed... it
varies by data.  So compressed, lossless, fixed compression ratio,
algorithms  are not known to me... not that I know that much about the
subject.......

Maybe compressed DNG is lossless, maybe not.......after all, if you compress
something, the deleted bits came from somewhere.....

Why mess with it when memory cards are so small and so cheap?

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net

Just received my M9 two days ago. Have been and intend to continue
shooting DNG (raw) and doing all adjustments, even if it's only a
preset, in Lightroom. Was surprised to see the option of DNG
Compressed, a factor of two compression. In practice, does this cause
significant deterioration, and under what circumstances?
--
Herbert Kanner

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] DNG)