Subject: [Leica] Camera Hacks
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:04:33 -0400

Tangential topic.

The 100,000 altitudes by balloon reminds me that this August will be the
50th anniversary of the (still-standing) record manned parachute jump
from a balloon.  As test subject of a USAF pre-astronaut program, (then)
Capt Joe Kittinger jumped from a balloon gondola at 102,800 feet,
free-falling for 4 1/2 minutes down to 17,500 feet before opening his
main chute.  His maximum speed during the descent in the thinner air was
Mach 0.91, which I guess made him the world's fastest man without the
benefit of a vehicle.  This guy then did 3 tours in Vietnam,  was shot
down and spent 11 months in a POW camp.  Col. Kittinger is  still alive,
living in Florida.  Kyle should photograph him.

-rei