Subject: [Leica] OT: Epson 1280 recommendations
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 02:34:23 -0400

> Mark,
>
> Actually I'm just getting into digital printing. Someone gave me the
> 1280. What printer do you recommend for B+W?
>
> Jim Laird
>
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com>
> wrote:
>>> Anyone who is using or has used the Epson 1280? What's the best
>>> ink/paper combination for B+W printing? Any advice would be
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Jim Laird
>>>

>> With the money you'd get selling that printer you could almost by an ink
>> cartridge for a newer Epson printer.
>> Technologies have replaced themselves several times since that printer
>> came
>> out. Maybe get a more serious printer.
>> How have your prints looked so far with what you're using?
>> What did you use before?
>>

>> Well I have a
>> [Rabs]
>> Mark William Rabiner

Did you make prints in the darkroom ever?
I would get the 3880 now I'm using the 3800.
Just make sure its Epson. Optimsed for matt not glossy. And pigment not dye
ink. A smaller format printer I'm sure they have with the same engine.
I check and see this would be the Epson Stylus Photo R2880 Inkjet Printer
which cost 800 at B&H.
Forgot about the RIPS and other fancy stuff and wired third party inks just
use the Epson printer. KISS. Make prints.
A key trick to making prints which are satisfying if you have a background
in darkroom work is to use good not cheap paper. 100% rag. The thinner stuff
to start out with with be cheaper but no less good quality. A sheet of paper
cost dollars not pennies. Just like darkroom. The cost of the ink doubles it
anyway.
Show people the prints. Get feed back. Make more. Show those.
Hang on wall. Put in portfolios and or archival boxes. Its not just about
jpegs any more. You're doing real photography. Inkjet printing is much
easier but don't get the idea which gets propagated that the whole thing is
"on automatic" profiles are nice but you still have to look at the print
when it comes out and decide if it needs to be tweaked or not. No print
matches your screen its a print not a screen.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from digiratidoc at gmail.com (James Laird) ([Leica] OT: Epson 1280 recommendations)