Subject: [Leica] Friday flowers, George
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 01:55:35 -0400

For some reason I've fallen 114 e-mails behind in life and so just saw this
exchange. Thanks to Phil, who explained the issue very well. I used
'contradict' I suspect A.) because it was late and B.) because I had this
sense that both phrases could be read either as restrictive or
non-restrictive so why was the first yes and the second no? It was a
shorthand way of expressing my sleep deprived sense that he was
contradicting himself.

The easiest and (in American usage) virtually always correct rule of thumb
for that/which is to use 'that' anytime it doesn't sound wrong, and to use
'which' only when 'that' sounds wrong. I could explain this but it would be
boring.  Interestingly, the great prose stylists of England in the first
half of the 20th century -- George Orwell, E.M. Forster, G.B. Shaw, Jos.
Conrad, Virginia Woolf, etc etc -- all use 'which' almost universally and,
according to their contemporary, Fowler, quite incorrectly most of the time
-- to the point it can distract the modern reader  -- "I've left a note
which explains how I earlier ate the plums which you'd left in the fridge,
which I thought was as good a way an any to let you know about it, and which
now I can use as a poem, fancy that."

Couldn't use 'which' for that last one.

For grammar freaks the late David Foster Wallace's long essay for Harper's
Magazine some years ago, on usage guides and dictionaries, is a must.

Vince