Subject: [Leica] OT: Why God Made UV Filters
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 06:49:59 +0100

Hi John,
it is certainly complicated, and the demographic I refer to is really big v
small. Yes there are road race enthusiasts in the USA, but they are a tiny
proportion of the total motor sport fans.
Speedways, ie oval type banked tracks are the first type of competition
course built for cars, but they have died out pretty well everywhere but the
USA where their popularity exceeds that of all other motorsport worldwide,
the number of spectators is -huge- compared to anything else.
There is an equivalent of the home built racing car in all countries, but
only in the USA do they race on ovals everywhere else on the little road
courses, so the transition on to "higher" forms of motor sport is seamless.
There is not really any equivalent to oval racing anywhere else in the
World, AFAIK, or drag racing, of any consequence. OTOH one can also say that
of American Football, Baseball and Basketball...
Frank