Subject: [Leica] Some Underwater Work
From: thurmanphoto at gmail.com (Wendy Thurman)
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 09:25:01 +0430

The variety of species of nudibranchs in the Lembeh Strait is
mind-boggling.  I've got quite a few more and will get some of them up in
the next couple of days.  I shot for two years in the Caribbean in the early
90's and maybe saw one or two in over 1,500 dives.  In Lembeh I saw multiple
species on every dive.  I've had to purchase a field guide in order to
identify the things.

The Lembeh Strait, off Bitung in North Sulawesi, is probably the world's
premier underwater macro-photography venue.  The first impression is a bit
odd- it appears to be a wasteland with trash and debris scattered over black
volcanic sand.  While there are colorful corals in some areas, the majority
of the diving is classified as "muck" diving- poking around in the sand
amidst shoes, cans, bottles, and all sorts of junk.  The habitat yields an
incredible variety of strange and rare animals one won't find anywhere
else.  More to come!

Wendy