Subject: [Leica] Leica queries - bellows adapters and slide/film copying?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:43:17 -0500

On Apr 28, 2010, at 10:19 AM, Vick Ko wrote:

> Has anyone tried using an M8 (or a 4/3 micro camera, for that
> matter) as a slide/film digitizer?

I've used the M8 with Viso, R8/DMR and 5D for digitizing slide/film.
Much, much faster than a dedicated film scanner.
However, much smaller files.
Great for cataloging and editing.

> - did Leica make a slide or film copier setup for the Visoflex?  If
> so, what were the part numbers?

not without bellows (that I'm aware of)

> - did Leica make a slide or film copier setup for the Visoflex and
> bellows?  If so, what were the part numbers?

yes - extremely hard to find - don't know the part number
I've adapted a Nikon slide copier.

> - or would this be a silly option?  The M8 would produce a 10 meg
> file, which I would think is pretty good for a scan.

not at all silly to me - however it does have limitations - dynamic
range - file size - etc.

> - what about doing 6x9 cm?  4x5 inch?  Is it just a matter of
> achieving the right setup?  ie. light box, stand, correct M8/
> Visoflex/Bellows/lens combo?

In my opinion you'd do better with a decent flatbed scanner for
medium and larger format films.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com