Subject: [Leica] Leica Universal Finder M (16-28mm) Foot
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:52:38 -0400

Has anyone else had a problem mounting the WATE finder on older cameras?  I
have not had a problem with most things that have a modern ISO shoe (M8,
Hexar RF, Fuji GSW690III, Ricoh GR Digital II), but when I tried to plug
this into a Fuji G690 (to use with a 50mm Fujinon - the equivalent of a
21mm), it wouldn't even go in the cold shoe (even if the friction wheel on
the finder was all the way up).

So I examined the foot and figured out that it is actually oversized
compared to modern ISO-shoe-mounted accessories from side-to-side (it seems
to have two ridges on the bottom that make it even thicker) and especially
at its "barbs," which are two side projections at the back.  In terms of the
Fuji shoe, the foot generally 1/20mm too big from side-to-side.  And then
the "barb" is a deal-killer.

Does anyone know if this finder foot was ever modified during production to
conform more closely with the ISO standard?  It's such a handy finder (esp.
with the built-in level), but it's absolutely bizarre that Leica used an
upsized foot - especially when a friction lock is provided (not to mention
the fact that all Leica cameras have tensioning devices of some sort in
their shoes).  If it has been modified, I'll just order the part, and if
not, I'll have my local repairperson/machinist mill down the sides a little
bit.

Thanks!
Dante Stella
http://www.dantestella.com