Subject: [Leica] ANZAC day
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:56:41 +1000

During World War One, Australian and New Zealand Forces served with
distinction. On April 25th 1915 they were part of forces landing at
Gallipoli for a long and brutal campaign that was ultimately unsuccessful.
That date is now known as ANZAC day and commemorates the service of all of
our military from that day forward.
My Grandfather, Walter Spencer Waugh, served his country from 1914 to 1919
and fought in the Gallipoli campaign as well as what was then known as
Palestine. The Australian Light Horse is perhaps best known in that last
campaign for taking part in what was perhaps the only mounted infantry
charge in history at Beersheba against Turkish forces. Although mounted they
were not equipped as cavalry and charged the Turkish positions with only a
long bayonet in hand.

In the National Archives of Australia, our family was able to find a
photograph of my Grandfather with his mates, roasting 'liberated chickens'
on their bayonets over an open fire in a desert position. I have done
considerable restorative work on a scan that I was able to obtain. My
granfather enlisted as a Private and was ultimately commissioned to
Lieutenant, surviving the War. He is at the left of this photograph
http://www.pbase.com/image/123893253

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman