Subject: [Leica] photographing other people's children in a public playground (revisited)
From: oliverbryk at comcast.net (Oliver Bryk)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:02:37 -0700

The following excerpt from our Precinct Captain's weekly report bears on the
issues regarding photographing in public places that we discussed a few
months ago:
-------------------
"On April 21, 2010 Richmond Station was alerted by email of recent
suspicious activity by an adult white male at Mountain Lake Park. This
suspect was seen using his cell phone to take photographs of children at the
Mountain Lake Park play structures. He did not have any children with him.
An alert member of the community used her cell phone to take a photograph of
the suspect which she included with her email to Richmond Station. She
followed the suspect to his car and reported to us that he drives a Silver
Chrysler "PT Cruiser".

"The email and photograph was immediately distributed to Richmond Station
Officers. Plain clothes officers, with the assistance of inspectors from the
Department's Sexual Offender Unit, started an immediate search of places
that they could expect to locate an individual engaging in such activity.
The work of plain clothes officers included stake-outs and showing the
suspect's photograph to possible witnesses. Thus far, we have not been able
to identify the suspect from his photograph and a search of our sex offender
database was unproductive. We have sent the photograph to our partners at
the State Department of Justice in hopes that they might be able to identify
him.

"All of the police activity described above is ongoing. I am glad to report
that we have been able to determine several places that the suspect
frequents, including a commercial establishment in the district.

"On Wednesday night several officers and I met with forty members of the
"Friends of Mountain Lake Park" community group regarding the suspect and to
discuss how we can work collaboratively to find him quickly.

"The volume of internet traffic related to this issue has been significant
and has done a great deal to raise public awareness about this suspect and
his activities. I have attached a copy of the suspect's photograph to this
newsletter and request that you call police immediately if you see him. I am
confident that all of us working together we will be able to quickly find
and identify this suspect."
Oliver

PS I don't know whether there are any signs at the playground in Mountain
Lake Park stating that photographing children is prohibited.

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] photographing other people's children in a public playground (revisited))
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] photographing other people's children in a public playground (revisited))
Reply from passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro) ([Leica] photographing other people's children in a public playground (revisited))