Subject: [Leica] Obama gf-1 now with PHOTOS!
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:45:56 -0400

i'll probably post more about the trip later, but i was on the press riser
60 feet back with my Leica d700 and an 80-200 2.8, a 300 2.8 and
(optimistically) a fisheye. There were two guys standing next to me even
MORE optimistic: one had a leica M7 with a 35 and 90mm lens and the other
guy had a GF-1 with the 20mm f 1.7. They both spent a while just looking at
the stage and sighing. There had been some confusion as to how close to the
stage we were going to get. I planned for everything and, hence, have a bad
back. They planned on being six feet away. (Which sometimes happens, search
through the archives for the day I met Sal DiMarco at a Gore/Lieberman
rally). After I was pretty sure I had "my shot" I put the GF-1 on the 300,
which got results like this:

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2010/obama-gf1-1.jpg

I found that it was REALLY FREAKING SLOW, like, as slow as a camera without
an auto winder. Crikies, it was like using my M6 again. Compared to 4 frames
a second (or 8 or 9 with the guys with the Leica D3's) it seemed an eternity
so I went back to the D700, experiment completed. I loaned the guy with the
GF-1 my nikon adapter and the 80-200 which made me feel much better, not so
much because I was being helpful and generous, but because it meant I hadn't
hauled all that extra gear for nothing.

After things started to break up, I found the GF1 much more useful, with the
20, I was able to get in close and quiet. Like this shot of former NY
Governor Mario Cuomo:

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2010/mc-gf1-1.jpg

Larger update will probably follow. Hope you're all feeling swell.

kc

Replies: Reply from rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw) ([Leica] Obama gf-1 now with PHOTOS!)
Reply from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Obama gf-1 now with PHOTOS!)