Subject: [Leica] HCB exhibit and the New Yorker Review
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 13:52:21 -0400

Robert Frank sacrificed much that is formally beaituful in photography --
and later started actually attacking it, scratching the negs, writing on the
prints, etc -- in order to get at some social and human "story", a
narrative. Exactly the opposite of Cartier-Bresson, I think, who had the
rarer gift -- he SAW the narrative that was already there. And he could
compose it. Almost within the instant -- or sometimes not almost, but
actually, within the instant. Frank and even more so Gene Smith were not
above moving things around, asking people to do something, setting up a shot
in other words, in order to tell a story they wanted to tell. Cartier
Bresson wanted only to see the story, to perceive it.

There are, of course, as Frank is recognizing, political implications in
these two approaches, especially for two Europeans who'd lived through the
war years.

In the end if has to be a fight then I'm on Cartier Bresson's side, whose
eye I think is closer to God's. Caesar will be Caesar will be Caesar,
there's no stopping him, the Resistance is romantic, even necessary from the
human point of view, but in the end it doesn't win, larger historical forces
win, so what can we do, but find, and insist upon an unbreakable loyalty to,
the truth?

Tomorrow I'll likely feel differently.  But as good and fascinating and
muscular as Frank is as an artist, Cartier Bresson is in another category
altogether.  Frank we can validly compare to, I don't know, Matthew Brady,
Edward Curtis, Beloqc, Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange, etc. Except he had more
wit than any of those. An American Lartigue perhaps. But stylistically
grittier and less enamored of the rich. Etc etc. he's a Beat poet with a
camera.

Cartier Bresson, on the other hand, we can validly compare to Michelangelo.