Subject: [Leica] WTB : Leica 21mm f2.8 ASPH in silver (UK)
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:57:41 +0200

Joseph (and others),

When someone resident in the EU buys something from a merchant outside the
EU, the rule is that the recipient must pay his local VAT on delivery, plus
any duty that may be applicable. In the case of photo equipment, the duty is
small: something like 4% on bodies and nothing on lenses, or the other way
round. The VAT is much more substantial, e.g. 17.5% in the UK if I am not
mistaken.

It is the job of the delivery company to collect the VAT and duty. Now,
sometimes I have been lucky and the post office has simply delivered the
product to me without any charges. This has happened both in the Netherlands
and (much more frequently :-)) here in Spain. But it is an act of negligence
on their part, albeit one in which I happily acquiesce :-)

The private delivery companies like UPS or Fedex are much less likely to
commit such an act of negligence, and they often charge additional fees for
doing the customs paperwork. For that reason, whenever I buy from the US, I
specify the USPS as the carrier and will simply not do business with
merchants who insist on using UPS etc.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman