Subject: [Leica] M Lenses on GF-1
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:42:43 -0400

The best way to think about this is to think of each pixel as a tiny bucket
with steep sides and the light sensitive area at the bottom.  Light must go
straight in in order to be detected.  Light arriving at anything other than
almost straight in is either lost or scattered.

That's why the sensors in the M8 and M9 have the offset lenses on top of the
sensor.
They allow the sensor to respond better to the off-axis light coming out of
M-type lenses.

SLR lenses are usually retrofocus designs that send the light close to
straight in to the sensors and therefore work better on the micro 4-3rds
cameras than M lenses do.

Dick

(Who works with sensors like these in the infrared for space missions.)

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] M Lenses on GF-1)