Subject: [Leica] M Lenses on GF-1
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:22:03 -0700

The vignetting of the 45-200 is due to the attempt by Panasonic to
keep the lens as small as possible, so vignetting appears at wider
apertures due to cutoff of off-axis rays. If the vignetting were due
to light rays hitting the sensor at a too steep angle, the aperture
wouldn't make a difference. Also the latter is an issue with shorter
lenses where the rear exit pupil is too close to the sensor. Not an
issue with the 45-200.

As I mentioned before, the vignetting doesn't bother me since the
lens is only for digital use, and the software that I use certainly
has no problems fixing the vignetting if so desire.

BTW, that Olympus claim is not true; I'm not sure they actually said
that. Their lenses are 'more telecentric' than those of most other
manufacturers; true telecentricity causes so many problems that it's
really not worth it except for certain industrial uses.