Subject: [Leica] Elmar lens confusion
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 12:39:21 -0400

There seems to be some confusion between the 35mm Elmar f3.5 and the 50mm
Elmar 3.5. Here are the two lenses side by side.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/50mm+and+35mm+Elmar+3_4+.JPG.html

The 35mm Elmar was one of the first Leicas lenses released, dating from the
early 30s. It is a four element, three group lens which pushes the wide
angle limits of the Elmar formula. My Elmar is quite soft wide open and
tends to vignette. Stopped down to f6.3 it performs adequately. When stopped
down to f8, the central area is quite sharp. The two main advantages of the
lens are that it makes for a slim, pocketable camera and, with its great
depth of field, requires little focusing. It was a favorite of street
photographers in the 30s. Here is the lens on an older Leica camera.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Leica+IIIc+with+35+mm+Elmar.JPG.html

The 50mm Elmar, is of course the lens that made the Leica famous. When
collapsed, it makes for a relatively pocketable camera, but sticks out a
good bit further than the 35mm Elmar in shooting position. Here is the 50mm
Elmar fully extended on an older Leica.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Leica+IIIc+with+50mm+Ellmar.JPG.html

Using the wayback machine I dredged up several photos taken with the 35mm
Elmar so would be users can judge the lens characteristics for themselves.
Both were taken in 1972.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Mike_+Maggie+on+swing.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Mike+on+rock.jpg.html

In case anyone is interested. Here is Mike today.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/A+man+and+his+dog+2.jpg.html

Larry Z