Subject: [Leica] Most portable 135 -- elaborations
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:48:54 -0400

Well on the 200/4 'astounding' front, I guess that word applies to my
reaction to it since I too got it for about $50 and, unlike Nikon's faster
200's, I'd never heard boo said about it or read boo written about it. It
has a very rich treatment of color and if you take a picture of some trees a
hundred or more yards away you can count the leaves and tell which ones are
younger. So it astounded *me* at least.

On the 105/2.5 I was quite surprised that it looked better than the Elmarit
90. I intend to repeat the test and also to take a light to the inside of
the Elmarit to see if there's some otherwise invisible haze or something.
At 200 and 400 percent the differences were almost radical. Now what I
failed to say but that must be a factor is that the Nikon was on my D40x and
the Elmarit on the G1. The comparative crop sizes then are  180 for the
Elmarit and almost 160 for the 105. The G1 sensor is 12MP and Nikon is 10,
on a larger sensor. I don't know enough about sensor technology or the ways
the different cameras process the images to make any determination of
whether, or how, those things factor into the outcome. But whatever
advantage the Nikon has for being larger one would think G1 makes up for
being far newer.

And yeah, one gets a little ga-ga this time of year around the university.