Subject: [Leica] Marking the territory
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 15:59:33 -0400

Howard writes:
"One afternoon it was very hot and I drank a lot of water.

There was no place to stop to go to the toilet and you are not allowed

to get off the jeep but I had to go. The jarring of the ride had

really dislodged my kidneys.

So Kunwar pulled up at one of the water holes - looked around and said

go for it. I hopped

down from the jeep and walked behind a tree and let fly! After a long

while I felt greatly

relieved and hopped back on the jeep."

- - - - - -

Apologies to Jayanand but bathroom behavior in India is not as private as
many westerners would like. On bus rides lasting more than a few hours, say
from Delhi to Jaipur, the bus would stop at an open field midway in the
journey for a "rest stop." Men would be instructed to go to the right to
urinate and defecate, women to the left. After a few minutes of unzipping,
zipping, and squatting, the bus would reload and the journey would continue.
Once my wife and daughter accompanied me on a lecture tour to Kashmir/Jammu.
In a small town she was overtaken by a bacillary dysentery urge to go to the
bathroom. Our driver assured us that she was fortunate. This was one of the
few towns in the area that had public toilet facilities. A townswoman
escorted her to the public lavatory. My wife was astounded to see that while
they had individual stalls, none had doors and all faced the very public
street. The townswoman told her that this was an advantage since she could
sit and watch the traffic go by while she attended to her business.

Larry Z