Subject: [Leica] widest lens used?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 10:52:19 -0700

Some years ago I did a comparison for the LHSA
Viewfinder of four 21mm lenses: the CV 21/4,
Ricoh 21/3.5, SA f/3.4 and Elmarit ASPH f/2.8. I
used to have the older Elmarit, and had compared
that lens to the ASPH and SA separately,
indicating that that lens would have ended up in
last place. Some other 21's such as the Kobalux
lenses also would not have touched the ASPH, but
some samples were quite good.

The Ricoh was the poorest in most respects, but
not by a large margin, and the ASPH was
definitely the best in most respects. The SA and
CV lenses each had strong points and weak points,
but both were very useable. Since then I've tried
a number of newer lenses like the Zeiss 21's,
both of which can compete very well with the
Elmarit ASPH and are definitely better than the
CV 21. But again, they're larger, and the Biogon
is even slower.

The main problem I've seen with the CV is
decentering, which unfortunately affects many
other CV products. A lot of samples need some
stopping down to bring some corners into good
performance. That's were a lot of the money goes
with Leica lenses.

In comparison to the 15 and 12mm lenses, I find
that the 21 a) has a lot of competition, which
the others don't, and b) there's not a lot of
difference in performance, and certainly the 21
and 15 have a quite similar character.

As for Ken Rockwell's 'tests' and 'opinions', the less said the better.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw at archiphoto.com