Subject: [Leica] German angst
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:56:02 -0400

I've got that book, and his Berlin Diary too and I agree, he didn't think
highly of them. Living there during Hitler's rise he likely saw the worst
aspects of German culture and character though. I wonder if he felt that was
before he lived there or if he became anti-German after seeing what the
Nazis did? The city I live in (Fort Wayne, Indiana) is heavily German. 80%
of the white people here are of German ancestry. Being of Spanish and Scots
ancestry, I felt kind of out of place and still do. I Miss New Mexico, felt
a home there. The Germans here are no different morally than anyone else
though, I don't think they're bad people. A lot of people here speak German
in public and at home, like us Hispanics do in Santa Fe. The Newspapers here
published in German, not English, until World War I.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography