Subject: [Leica] sensor types
From: bs.pearce at cox.net (Sue Pearce)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:53:45 -0500

This discussion was rampant in dslr circles until the CMOS sensors took
over. As the owner of a D3, D700 and M9 I can tell you this; at least
certain CMOS sensors are far better at high ISO's. That's a big thing for
DSLRs market, and a bit of egg on Leica's face.

The relations between Leica and Kodak are probably the whole reason- it's
unlikely that another senor manufacturer will deal with their needs at their
volume. Kodak, although incredibly stupid at times, must know something
about sensors, as their core market is government work, for things like spy
satellites.

Although I'm sorry that the M9 isn't as good at high isos as the D3, I'm
just happy to get a functional FF digital rangefinder.

Bill Pearce