Subject: [Leica] New museums
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:06:27 -0400

Robert Meier wrote that there have been a FLOOD of new museums opened in the
last decade.

Come on now. You know what I mean. Give me a bit of rhetorical license.

While it is true that a number of art museums and display spaces have been
built recently, most have been exercises in architectural excess intended to
gratify the ambitions of designers, patrons, and civic authorities. The
primary function of an art museum is to house and display art works. Only
secondarily to be an art work in itself. It should follow great architect
Louis Sullivan's overriding precept of architectural design - Form follows
function.

>From the artist or photographer's point of view the best museum is one which
provides a great deal of well lit, unadorned wall space with viewing
distances sufficient for visitors to see a painting or photograph in its
entirety. The museum itself should not detract nor compete with the art
therein. It is no accident that the museums that artists like best are
generally converted factory buildings. The Tate Museum in Liverpool or the
Dia Museum in Beacon, New York are good examples. Apparently the open space
requirements of factory production share a lot in common with the display
requirements of graphic artists and photographers.

Given the vastly increased volume of graphic works and the limited
availability of opportunities to display them, I stand by the premise that
competition for display space will grow ever more intense. Paintings and
photos live far too long. They should be designed to self destruct within
the lifetime of the creator. In photography, hypo is the enemy. Printing out
paper faded naturally after a short period. Thank God digital media is not
forever.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] New museums)