Subject: [Leica] New Digital (?) Rangfinder Rumor
From: ekowaleski at twmi.rr.com (Ed Kowaleski)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:04:42 -0400

I am so happy with my M9 and Panasonic Gs that I would have no interest in a
new rangefinder camera (with the possible exception of a CLE type rf that
took M  lenses - not at all probable).  The "Rumor" disavowed Leica and
Nikon although about a year ago there were some rumors of Nikon producing a
RF Camera that used the M bayonet mount.  I cannot imagine  a market to
support the R&D.

A friend of mine, Mark Theken, spent the weekend with us.  He had been a rep
for the Professional Division of Fuji for many years and retired about ten
years ago.  Following his work with Fuji, he made a living buying and
selling High end used Camera Equipment and over the years I have bought a
small number of things from him but I have sold most of my pre-digital
equipment through him.  He is very much a straight shooter and with me he
only took a 10% commission on what he sold.  Vahan's widow also used him to
sell Vahan's equipment.  I believe Bill Whiston also sold his "R" system
through Mark.  In any event, he is pretty much out of the camera business
(although he remains a Leica dealer) and has moved into the Used Classic
Watch markets which he has found very profitable.  He thinks that still
photography will diminish in favor or more and more digital TV and is trying
to convince me that therein lies the future. At 82, I do not really care.

I know Canon is currently the big winner of the marketing wars these days
but I have only owned their small P&S digitals which I have since sold.  I
know Tina Manley used Canon's before she hooked on to Leica but she has made
many disparaging remarks about their quality on the LUG over the years.
Still, a lot of people mseem to be using Canon's so perhaps they wiol
venture into the 4/3 rf market.

I still predict that there will be an iteration in years to come of the X1
that takes interchangeable lenses.

I look forward to hearing Hoffman. Thank you very much.

Ed