Subject: [Leica] How healthy is street photography?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 00:05:03 -0400

> Is street photography dying? I just returned from a major NY area photo
> show
> in a community rife with advertising, commercial and TV photographers.
> There
> were 60 exhibitors, many of them successful photo professionals. Only one
> offered what could be called a street photo. There were just three pictures
> of people, one in the street photo and the other two reasonably formal
> portraits. The rest were carefully arranged landscapes, flowers, and
> travel
> scenes with studied attention to the rules of composition. There was little
> spontaneity and no apparent joy. It looked like the final exam in a photo
> school composition class. Everyone was trying to be an ARTIST. How boring
> compared to the LUG. Fortunately the wine and cheese were good.
>
> Larry Z

Could it be that advertising, commercial and TV photographers are not street
photographers?
 The closest you could come to street photography from a professional
standpoint would be photo journalists and fine art gallery photographers.
Usually a combination of the two.
But often just plain amateurs. Some serious ones. A good thing.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] How healthy is street photography?)