Subject: [Leica] crashed drive solution
From: leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:58:35 -0500

Ok,

Good news.  I managed to pull some gobbledygook files off of the dead
drive. They made no sense. I had Brian look at them and they made no
sense to him.   I chatted with a tech at disk warrior about it and he
spent about 1/2 hour working with me on it and he concluded  that the
problem was that the drive was hardware encrypted and probably my best
bet would be to get the controller card fixed.  I took it to the local
computer fixer and he said no way to fix it.  I had another drive just
like the one I crashed so I pulled apart the new drive and put  the
crashed drive onto that controller card and it worked!  Am backing up
now.  So apparently there is some hardware in the controller that
encrypts the my book essential drives which means they cannot be read
if put into a bare drive controller.  I don't like that.

Lessons I learned.

Backup backup backup 3,2,1.

Disk warrior seems to be a pretty good product.  It was able to
res-erect the first drive that crashed.

The tech guy at Disk warrior was very helpful, a little hard to get
online but when we connected he figured out the problem with the
second drive.  Very grateful.

I'm gonna stay away from encrypted drives.

Leo Wesson
Photographer/Videographer
817.733.9157
www.leowesson.com