Subject: [Leica] A question on LR v PS
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:38:22 -0400

Hi all:

Since I have no clue what you all are talking about when you start advising
each other on processing your raw files and levels and profiles etc etc, and
I am struggling to learn how to do even basic things in PS (which I own in
the latest incarnation because I was able to get it and many other Adobe
programs (Illustrator, a bunch of other stuff) in a package for under $200
as a part-time faculty member at NYU, I'm reaching out to get advice on what
I'm doing.

I notice most you a. work in raw files and import them into whatever program
you use to process them; and b. use Light Room rather than Photoshop.

So my question is, what does Light Room do that Photoshop doesn't? When I
say Photoshop I mean to include Adobe Bridge, which seems like a slightly
creaky (in the Tin Man sense) but adequate format in which one can organize
one's library of images, rename them, etc.

Lastly, if anyone cares to share his/her experience, I would love to hear
how some of you folks went about learning LR or PS. (I have *Photoshop for
Dummies* but it's incoherent, badly organized and kind of incomprehensible.
And when it is comprehensible it's kind of lame.)

Thanks for any advise and info.

Vince P

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] A question on LR v PS)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] A question on LR v PS)