Subject: [Leica] Beware HCB Wannabes
From: wanderjan at gmail.com (Jan Decher)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:20:00 -0400

Mike,
I agree, even though he's after snapshots the pictures where the subject
looks at him are better. A lot of the snapshot kind I would have not posted
on Flickr for various flaws (irritating background shapes, important
elements out of focus etc.).
I have two friends/collegaues who are very good with street photography even
though they are using big and conspicuous Nikon gear, sometimes even with
fill flash!   In almost all instances they engage with people, smile a lot
and get away with surprisingly close-up, colorful (in every sense) and
seemingly unposed stuff.  I think HCB and Walter Benser were like that with
their Leicas - approachable guys, not long telephoto snipers.

I have tried it in African markets and you better be smiling and engaging a
lot there, if you don't want to be lynched.  If someone says "no picture" -
don't!  Find a friendlier situation. Buy an item from a seller, ask
permission.  Show people your LCD readout (huge crowds of kids immediately
gather), bring a small portfolio of your best stuff, offer to send prints
and write down their addresses and later send a picture or two! If you don't
love people, don't do it!

The camera wielding guy in NYC... 0.7meter in your face (there's an awful
video of a street shooter like that somewhere) - I would have smacked him
too!!
Jan

From: Mike Durling <durling at cox.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:56:56 -0400
There are some aspects of his approach that I don't like.  I couldn't do it,
but I admire some people who do it well.  The photogs I like best are the
ones who engage their subjects a little bit.  Just my taste.
Mike D