Subject: [Leica] Beware HCB Wannabes
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 03:21:38 -0400

> Rabs you are a three chord rock song on permanent loop man. (Computer /
> e-bay / equipment sellers / etc). But I agree with you on the no babes
> front, which struck me frankly as WEIRD in so far as the hoopla clearly was
> driven at least in part by good old reliable American sexual hysteria: half
> the article was people saying he was essentially hanging around like some
> kind of perv taking pictures of women, with his tongue hanging out and on
> the verge of exposing himself. There are like five pictures of women out of
> 70.  He seems actually most interested in homeless panhandler wino types.
> They have faces that tell stories 'tis true.
>
> This country is getting more nuts all the time.  Imagine if Lluis started
> hanging round taking shots and posting them with tags like "Two fun
> senoritas." He'd be in jail. Plus, you know, he's foreign.

Vince my experience with the  new post Shutterbug photo enthusiasts is they
think their obsession with eBay equals an obsession with photography. If
they knew a fraction as much about image crafting was they did about the ins
and outs of PayPal special  accounts and not getting ripped off in the
postage systems they'd put all the hard core photo enthusiasts out of
business. There is a real honest surprise when they find you  expect them to
go outside with their cameras and click a few and make a print or at least
craft an jpeg before it  goes on the block for sale to somebody else.  Be
patient. I've been on the list a dozen plus years and you've been on it a
dozen plus days. Things will even out. We have seen a bunch of writers come
and go on the list. A few of them we even got to see some pictures proving
they knew to operate something other than an Olivetti. Plan on hearing me
mention the buying and selling thing a few more times this year. Plan on me
getting down on the "had that, sold it" mentality once or twice again before
the new year. I'm up on Printing. Crafting an image. Having lots to edit
down from. How photography is not about words but about pictures. About
knowing something about photography. Photographers. The history of
photography. Schools of photography. About getting to know your gear. I'm up
on beans and rice. Down on pasta and cheese. Some people I'm sure are sick
of hearing me and filter me out. But I do get a good response from people
when I meet them in person. They tell me they like my posts. Offer to buy me
a Diet Coke. So I'm happy.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner